Notice my contact info to the right, if you want to contact me with any questions. I would also like to say that I do attempt to give credit where credit is due. I do not make any claims to cakes in my blog except the ones in my slideshow. If I show a cake I will try to post some type of identifer with it, however, if I don't know who posted the cake it is impossible for me to do that. I am only using the cake to illustrate a specific technique.







Sunday, May 20, 2012

New approach

I have hit a lot of different cake decorating techniques in my blog, but it dawned on me today that I haven't shared a lot as far as baking.  So, at least for a little while, I think I am going to start sharing some scratch cake recipes.  So here are a couple to get you all started off...beginning with the basics white, butter, chocolate.

The first recipe is for a very popular cake, and I'm sorry I don't know the original poster of this recipe or I would give them full credit for it.  I found it online and I just love it.  It's called White Almond Sour Cream Cake, and it has so many different variations to change it up.  But for right now, I'm going to stick with the original recipe, and maybe later on I'll tell you some variations to the recipe.  This version was submitted by Rebecca Sutterby and only uses egg whites (which in my opinion if it is a white cake it shouldn't contain yolks, but that is only my opinion).  I mean really, if it contained yolks it would be a yellow almond sour cream cake right?

I would just like to say before getting started to always make sure you are starting with fresh ingredients to insure you get the best results (e.g. eggs, baking soda, baking powder and cake mixes always check expiration dates)
WASC Cake (White Almond Sour Cream)


WASC - Rebecca Sutterby version w/ egg whites
2 boxes white cake mix (I only use Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract 

*Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl (I would also sift all ingredients together, but again that is just me). Add the rest of the ingredients (I mix all liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl and then add to the dry)  and beat on low speed for 2 minutes  (I mix slightly, scrape down the sides of the bowl and then finish mixing just until the batter looks silky...be sure not to overmix). Bake at 325 degrees  (I bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with crumbs...if you wait until it comes out clean it is overbaked).

Chocolate Cake
by Jackie Cabe

2 boxes Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Moist Deluxe (The only kind I use)
Ingredients on the box
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 boxes Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding (Large box)
2 cups sour cream
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons Hersheys Chocolate Syrup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cake mixes, flour, sugar, and pudding and set aside.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, oil, eggs, sour cream, and chocolate syrup until eggs are blended well.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix a little, then scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again just until the cake becomes glossy or silky looking.  DO NOT OVERMIX.  Bake just until a wooden skewer or toothpick pulls away with a few crumbs on it.  If you wait until it pulls away clean, it will already be overbaked.


Butter Cake
was submitted in a magazine called Sunset Magazine (sorry I don't know the name of the author)

2 1/4 cups cake flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2/3 cup milk

    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 round 8-in. cake pans.

    Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.

    In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Crack eggs into a small dish (do not beat) and add vanilla. Add eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, scraping down the inside of the bowl as needed. Beat in flour mixture and milk in alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour and making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.

    Divide batter evenly between pans. Let batter sit in pans for five minutes.

    Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake come out clean, 20-25 minutes.

    Cool cakes in pans 5 minutes. Invert onto a rack, remove pans and let cakes cool to room temperature, at least 40 minutes.

    Frost with your favorite and enjoy.
  1. (Cakes can be made up to 2 days ahead and wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled).

    So there you have it, if you want a yellow cake just add the yolks to the WASC cake above.  But I also have a special treat for you as well.  BONUS!!!  I am also going to include a couple of snack cake recipes as well.  These are made in a 10-inch tube pan or a 8X8 inch square pan.

    Apple Spice Cake

    1 cup butter, melted
    1/2 cup oil
    2 Cups sugar
    3 eggs
    2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. salt
    3 cups chopped apples
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    3 T. milk
    1 T. cinnamon

    Combine butter, oil, sugar, and eggs in mixing bowl and mix until thick and lemon colored.  Beat in vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and mixture of flour, soda, and salt.  Fold in apples, nuts, and walnuts. Pour into greased and floured  10-inch tube pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.  Bring remaining ingredients to boil in a saucepan, mixing well, cool and pour over cake.  Yields 12 servings.

    Apple Sauce Cake

    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 egg
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 pound of raisins
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. allspice
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1 tsp. cloves
    1 tsp. ginger
    1-1/2 to 2 cups black walnuts (if unavailable you can substitute English walnuts)

    Grease tube pan and line the bottom with greased wax paper.  In a bowl, stir the baking soda into the applesauce and set aside.  In another bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and beat well.  Add the applesauce mixer and mix well.  Sift flour over raisins in a large mixing bowl.  Add the spices and walnuts and mix well.  Pour into your prepared tube pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours and cool in pan.  Invert onto a cake plate and remove the wax paper.  Top with whipped cream and serve.  Yield is 20 servings.

If you didn't have any "go to" recipes, I hope you like these, and they can become your "go to" recipes.  Good luck and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment